Childhood ImmunisationsLast Updated: Tuesday, 30 May 2023
It is important to make sure that your child has all their routine childhood vaccinations. It's the most effective way of keeping them protected against infectious diseases as they are growing up.
We have clinically trained staff who can deliver the childhood immunisation programme.
Before the appointment:
- inform the surgery who will be taking the child, if neither a parent nor guardian can attend.
- if neither a parent nor guardian can attend, please ensure written consent is bought for each immunisation required.
- take your 'red book' to the appointment
Our nurse will check:
- your child's general health, and what medicines they may be taking
- which vaccines your child is going to have
- that you know what diseases they’ll protect against
- that you know what side effects may occur, and how to treat them
- that you’re happy to go ahead
After the injection:
- make sure that the type of injection (and where it was given) is noted down in your red book and in your child’s GP records. Your child may need this information later in life, for example when applying for certain jobs or going abroad to live or study
If you miss an appointment:
- Please ensure you inform the surgery beforehand if you will not be able to attend an appointment. You won’t have to start the course of vaccines again. Just make a new appointment as soon as you can - Our reception team will be happy to help you do this.